11 February 2010

The foot finished cont......

OK, I need to close out how I finished off basing the mini's.

I essentially just worked my way through the directions that came with the Baccus basing kit.

PVA glue and add sand - in retrospect I should have applied a line of brown paint to the base before I attached the mini's. From a top down view you can still see a bit of the wooden base between the stands.

I watered down the PVA a little. The beer bottle cap makes an excellent PVA pallete.


I normally use a small container when I'm doing sand and grass etc for bases. Because I couldn't find one I had to come up with another solution. The dust pan.



This is now my standard solution. It makes it extremely easy to pour the excess sand back in to the bag it came in.



All of the stands with sand. I let them dry for a good 24hours. I've made the mistake before of not letting sand try well enough before painting and trashed a couple of bases.



Painting the foundation wash onto the bases.



The progression of drybrushing.



The bases with the sand drybrushed and edges painted green.



All grassed. I was on a run and didn't take any photo's mid process. I used the watered down PVA and the dust pan again.



Flags added. Flags came with the Starter set, but you can buy them seperately. Cut them with a knife, PVA both sides and added them on. In retrospect I should have considered turning them 90 degrees so they were more visible from the front. Note the white lines on top of the flags. They're gone on the photo's below where I've painted them. The facing colour worked well on top of the regimental colours. Not sure if the black was the right approach for the King's colours, but not sure what else would have worked.


I shaped the flags using a pair of tweezers and doing a couple of diagonal folds. The PVA used to glue them helps them to hold their shape .



The finished mini's. Now they just need some artillery and cavalry support and a general and then an enemy. More to follow ........

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you showed each step of the basing procedure. You make it all seem to easy!

    But really, too many people tend to assume that basing is something that takes a lot of time and skill. The next time I see someone with that opinion, I'll make sure to direct him to take a look at this post. :)

    ReplyDelete