09 July 2013

Improvements to the painting cupboard.



I have a painting cupboard. It started life as a computer cupboard but as I realised that I was more likely to paint if my stuff was out and set up rather than boxed away, I moved the computer out and the painting gear in. When I'm not painting the doors close and the place looks tidy.


But when it opens up it is full of painting goodness. I'm generally pretty happy with it and have been tweaking it over the years.
The paint station in operation.

It gets a bit disorganised.
 One of the problems I've found is that I am starting to have too many paints and they start to take over the desk. I've been branching out a bit into getting some larger craft paints for bases and scenery, and some craft inks for experimenting with. They are all bigger pots than the Vallejo and GW paints that I have generally used, and despite this picture, the carousel is overflowing. So I did a bit of google work and got some inspiration for paint storage on YouTube. Tips: Vallejo Color Paint Rack.



images Turns out that a really good option for holding onto Vallejo paint bottles is a bit of plastic designed to hold 1" conduit. Available at the hardware store for 20c each.




So it is a work in progress. I have some MDF to go down the side of the cupboard and a collection of the clips (I also got a couple of larger clips to hold some inks and derivian paints).

The position for the MDF
Three Rows holds 68 Vallejo bottles and 12 of the larger bottles.


The plan is two rows of clips screwed together across a small piece of right angle aluminium to use to mount to the MDF.

I am using the MDF rather than mounting direct to the cupboard in case I need to one day return it to its original role as a computer cupboard.





Now I am thinking about what to put at the bottom of the MDF. Maybe a tray to hold the GW paints.

And to make matters even more entertaining, the shortest piece of MDF I could get was twice as long as I needed, so I can do something similar on the right hand side of the cupboard as well. If I can think of something worthwhile.

More photos to follow as I finish up.



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous16/7/13 06:35

    Mate, that's a great cupboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's been a work in progress for a long time and has evolved over time as my painting has changed. Hopefully another update this weekend as I finish off the paintrack and maybe even do some painting.

    ReplyDelete